First Nations, Metis and Inuit
Parent Engagement Series
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education
The First Nations, Métis and Inuit education team is offering two online parent information and engagement series for EIPS families.
Series #1: Developing Foundational Knowledge of First Nations, Metis and Inuit cultures, histories and contemporary contexts.
This three part series is designed for EIPS parents and families who are curious to learn
about First Nations, Métis and Inuit cultures, perspectives and histories. These sessions are designed as entry points to understanding as we work toward learning our collective truth on the path of reconciliation.
Sessions will be held online using Microsoft Teams Meetings, Join on your computer or mobile app. Click here to join the meeting
- Session 1 (virtual): February 2, 2021 (7 - 7:30 PM)
- Who we are and why this work is needed
- What reconciliation looks like in EIPS
- Session 2 (virtual) February 23, 2021 (7 - 7:30 PM)
- Addressing common roadblocks to understanding and relationship
- Terminology; bridging the gap between what language parents may be used to hearing and what children are learning in schools
- Session 3 (virtual) March 16, 2021 (7 - 7:30 PM)
- Language of this land- The importance of highlighting Indigenous languages; deepening understanding of relationship to land through language; what exploration of Indigenous languages can look like in schools
Series #2: Virtual gathering of First Nations, Métis and Inuit parents and families.
This series is designed for First Nations, Métis and Inuit parents and families who are curious to learn more about the supports offered throughout EIPS. It is an opportunity for First Nations, Métis and Inuit parents to gather together and engage in conversation in partnership with the EIPS First Nations, Métis and Inuit education team.
- Third Gathering (virtual) for families of self-identified students: April 20, 2021 (7 - 8 PM)
- Sessions will be held online using Microsoft Teams Meetings, Click here to join the meeting
- We thank all families for joining us in our gatherings and sharing your stories. For our final virtual gathering of the school year, we hope to discuss:
- Looking back: highlights from around EIPS
- Looking forward: What are your hopes for your child/ren? What does success and achievement look like as part of our EIPS family?